Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Apr 30th, 2024, 6:35pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a BLAST from the past (some info on bigglesk) (Read 2188 times)
bigglesk
(Offline)
God
Media Exchange Member

The wealth ye find,
another keeps.
(Fact!)

a BLAST from the past (some info on bigglesk)
Sep 6th, 2007, 9:45pm

What follows is the truth.

Many years ago,I was present for the the last atomic test carried out by the British.
I was blown over by an atomic explosion (Not many people can say that and lived!) Not forgetting the flying coconuts!. Angry

I was stationed (RAF)on "Xmas" Island in the South Pacific during Exercise Grapple. The explosion knocked down the Education section (Wooden structure) including some of the communications equipment in my section.  
I have raked sand to make it look pretty for a visiting High Ranking Officer.  
Fished for Sharks with a home made hook (made from an old brass hinge) and telephone cable. (no luck though). :'(

This is just a taster. I was wondering if any of you folks have a tale to tell...Happy or sad...perhaps funny.

Give it a go. or is this the only post!!!!!!

Keith to some bigglesk to others

Seeds ye sow, another reaps; /
  IP Logged
sleepy
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Baldly Going!

Re: a BLAST from the past (some info on bigglesk)
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2007, 11:49pm

Hi Keith, my uncle was out there a couple of years after the tests ended and said that there were still areas of the island which were off limits.
What always annoyed him was the fact that the Yanks who were exposed to nuclear radiation got plenty of help and compensation, while our boys had to fight for a pittance.
My uncle told a few strange stories (he was in the MT section), one was driving across the island with land crabs crunching under his vehicle's wheels, another was a huge hangar full of nearly new Land Rovers being disabled and left to rot when the RAF left, when he ask why he was told it was cheaper to buy new than to transport them home. Shocked

Make It So!
  IP Logged
bigglesk
(Offline)
God
Media Exchange Member

The wealth ye find,
another keeps.
(Fact!)

Re: a BLAST from the past (some info on bigglesk)
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2007, 7:30am

Those were the days sleepy! :'( When I was there, there was NO Fall Out from the blast so we were safe! There was "Fall Out" from the previous test.

Ere you go. Another one:-

Here is one at my expense

Whilst stationed in Berlin, I was invited to a Sports Club’s 100th anniversary. (I ostensibly spoke German!) Doing my duty, I danced with the rather portly chairman’s wife. However, I kept treading on her feet and apologised accordingly in German.

The dance finished and I went back to join my friends (at the bar of course!) They were all laughing their heads off. “What’s up” I said? Adam my American friend said: “I heard you apologising to the Chairman’s wife” “Do you know what you actually said to her” yes I replied, “I told her I had two big feet” Oh no! Adam replied: you said you had “two big “*******” (A certain colloquial expression for that part between the legs of our lady bosses!) It wasn’t “FEET” I had said. (Our German cousins will understand and have a laugh)

My German is good enough to drop myself in the S***

Seeds ye sow, another reaps; /
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print