Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Apr 30th, 2024, 10:23pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bio Diesel (Read 3274 times)
filmfan
(Offline)

Bio Diesel
Aug 19th, 2007, 7:09pm

Read in todays paper that it is now legal to refine up to 2500 litres of this now for personal use without having to declare,register or whatever and no duty to pay.
        Does anybody do it as after the initial costs of setting up it sounds a good idea?
        To use new veg oil it still works out a lot cheaper than conventional diesel apparantly.Not a clue how much the conversion costs on the car though

IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Re: Bio Diesel
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2007, 8:46pm

Is a conversion required?  I was led to believe the first diesels were actually designed to run on vegetable oil.

Not that I know much about these things!

I think therefore I am.... but what if I think I am not?
  IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2007, 9:02pm

Had a bit of a google and it seems that diesels were designed to run on vegetable oil but more recent componants (filters etc) are not always happy.  Also requires heating in winter to keep it fluid enough (must smell like a chip shop!)

Want to make your own from waste oil?  

Check this out: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Waste-Vegetable-Oil.htm

Zap

I think therefore I am.... but what if I think I am not?
  IP Logged
filmfan
(Offline)

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:47pm

Been doing some research and the problem is with the modern common rail injection diesels.The old are generally ok.Apparantly so I read VW, Audi and Seat before I think 2004 but this was read on a forum so I don`t know.
The article said about cleaning the oil with Sodium Hydroxide or floor cleaner.
To buy the stuff mentioned in the article it wouldn`t be worth doing for me.
Perhaps people will get together to share the costs.One bloke just put 40% veg oil in from Tesco straight into his tank on an old Peugeot diesel.Will carry on reading and see what I can find out more.Interesting article you posted thanks.

IP Logged
ianskill
(Offline)
Forum Moderator
Cardshare

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2007, 8:18am

i sometimes do the same m8 in my 1997 peugeot 106.i can get away with 60 white and 40 veg oil using lucas pump. been doing this on and off for 2 years with no problems,passes mot no problem too.i have also a 2005 ford galaxy tdi(vw engine). i have had fresh veg in it,say 20 litres white to 9 liters veg oil. i wasnt sure at first as can be expensive to fix if anything goes wrong. i do know for a fact that the vectra dti diesels wont run on it without smoking badly,and also confirmed by a friend who is a mechanic at vauxhalls.    
 i did try once in the garage a liter of fresh oil with a capfull of white spirit in the top,this is suppose to take out the gelatine in the oil to make it the same viscos as white,    if anyone wishes to try any of this will be at their own risk,wouldnt like anyone to damage any engine parts.

u know me!i like free tv
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print