Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Apr 26th, 2024, 10:55am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amstrad DRX180 firmware? (Read 7318 times)
chappers
(Offline)

Amstrad DRX180 firmware?
Feb 28th, 2012, 11:13pm

Hi,

While fixing the PSU in my DRX180, I got a solder fleck on the mainboard which bridged some pins of one of the two flash memory ICs on the mainboard, and I powered box up not realising. I assume the box's firmware resides on the flash memory?

Box won't come out of standby now, and holding backup while powering up doesn't do anything.

Is there any way to get hold of a firmware file for this box, and instructions on how to flash the firmware to the box?

I see a Pace can be flashed by soldering wires to the right points of the board, so hoped somebody had done the same with the DRX180. Google shows absolutely nothing though.

Cheers

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Re: Amstrad DRX180 firmware?
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2012, 9:42am

I think unless you try experimenting with the pace firmware on here and make your own jtag you're out of luck.  

It might be easier to pick up a replacement off ebay undecided

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
chappers
(Offline)

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2012, 1:38pm

Hi Steve,

I honestly wouldn't know where to begin making a JTAG...wouldn't know where the wires need to go, as I have no basic knowledge in that area.

I've got an old Pace mainboard with intact flash ICs on it, and although different part numbers, the ICs have same pin-outs and memory size. I did briefly think about swapping them into the Amstrad box, but assumed whatever firmware is on them will be unique to that manufacturer?

It is firmware stored on those banks of flash memory isn't it?

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2012, 11:51pm

You could pick up a buffered jtag from ebay, theres a link to someone who makes them on the other thread.

I think you're right, most of the boxes are similar once you get the lid off but the components may be different and the firmware will for sure have some box-specific code in there somewhere.

The pace hack only accesses the flash memory, so if you can find a way into it (or replace with working ones) you might be in luck

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print