Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 9:37am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The High Court in Dublin (Read 3290 times)
jrb333
(Offline)
God

Dark side of the
moon

The High Court in Dublin
Oct 16th, 2010, 5:30am

The High Court in Dublin has ruled that there is no precedent in Irish law to force Internet Service Providers (ISP) to identify and disconnect subscribers accused to sharing music and other content illegally over the Internet. UPC, one of the largest ISPs in Ireland, is not now required to take part in the same three strikes program that Ireland's largest ISP, Eircom, is currently using.
UPC would have been required to first send an informal warning to customers accused of sharing music illegally. Then it would have to send more stern threats of disconnection, followed by a seven day disconnection. After this stage, a customer could be disconnected for up to a year if the activity continued.  

While the High Court decision is based on Irish law, it was pointed out by the court that this could mean Irish law does not comply with European law agreed by EU member states including Ireland itself. Whether this means the Irish government will step in to provide legislation for the issue or not remains to be seen.  

Mr. Justice Peter Charleton made the ruling. He had previously condemned the impact Internet piracy has on the industry when the Eircom case was in the media, saying at the time that piracy "not only undermines the record companies' business but ruins the ability of a generation of creative people in Ireland, and elsewhere, to establish a viable living."  

Eircom had agreed to a three strikes system for its subscribers after being taken to court also by Warner Music, Universal Music, Sony BMG and EMI Records. Instead of going through with the case, Eircom opted to settle. Whether Monday's court decision in UPC's favor will change Eircom's policy remains to be seen.

IP Logged
haga
(Offline)
Administrator

Re: The High Court in Dublin
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2010, 12:41pm

it serves the industry right, for years and years the price of CD's and films in the UK have been one of the highest, they have made millions from us, the public, now the tables have turned with downloads and the internet, serves them fcucking right, if they reduced the price more people would buy music/films and the downloads would reduce, greedy bastards deserve all they get in my opinion.
rant over  Wink
haga

IP Logged
Bobski
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Re: The High Court in Dublin
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2010, 7:36pm

Quote from haga on Oct 16th, 2010, 12:41pm:
it serves the industry right, for years and years the price of CD's and films in the UK have been one of the highest, they have made millions from us, the public, now the tables have turned with downloads and the internet, serves them fcucking right, if they reduced the price more people would buy music/films and the downloads would reduce, greedy bastards deserve all they get in my opinion.
rant over  Wink
haga

I couldn't of put it better myself!  Wink

Why do I have to pay to live on a planet I was born on?
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print