Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Nov 21st, 2019, 10:12am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question Guys.... (Read 2718 times)
zapstrap
(Offline)

Question Guys....
Nov 20th, 2009, 1:16pm

OK, I have this bright shiny new laptop with windows 7 and pre installed Mcaffee security suite - OK so far so good - Today I did an anti spy after a week of ownership and I was prompted by Yahoo to upgrade to a new version - This I duly installed and ran.  Much to my surprise it found a keylogger and homepage hijacker.

How could this get past the mcaffee security suite - especially as I only went on sites that were passed by the Mcaffee site advisor?

I only ask a I want to be able to prevent it happening again - (I set the anti-spy to run at start up so that should help)

Cheers  

Zap

I think therefore I am.... but what if I think I am not?
  IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Re: Question Guys....
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:21pm

i would say there`s your problem.....Mcaffee ,imho it`s crap even the free version of comodo is better but as of a fortnight ago it wouldn`t run on win 7,don`t know if a newer version is out 4 win7.
If i was you i would get rid of Mcaffee & try NOD32.

H.

IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009, 9:03pm

Quite agree about McAffee, didn't ask for it but it was on the computer when we bought it - I run the free version of AVG on my main computer and haven't had any problems so far.  

Not sure exactly what works on Windows 7 as I already have a problem with PS7 and the Yahoo anti-spy won't work either - having found the malicious software removal tool, that doesn't bother me much, but being unable to use photoshop is a pain

Looks like I'm banished to the office while the Missus gets to surf and watch TV at the same time!

IP Logged
haga
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2009, 7:59pm

Depends if your running win 7 64 or 32 bit, if it's the 32 bit then most things will run ok, if, like mine it's the 64 bit version then your limited to what will run at the moment, I'm using Kaspersky 2010 and all is running well, I also got rid of McAfee as it's sodding useless, I also run  Webroot spy sweeper and so far, so good, if only I could find a cure for slow internet problems with win 7 I'd be a happy chappy, no problems with my xp laptop, but this win 7 problem and slow internet is annoying thousands,  
haga

IP Logged
ianskill
(Offline)
Forum Moderator
Cardshare

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2009, 8:20pm

and to add,i run nod32 antivirus.its a very good antivirus but has issues on windows 7 32 bit.

u know me!i like free tv
  IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2009, 10:08pm

i`m running win7 x64 & using nod32 smart security with no problems @ all.
Steve no problems with internet here m8,but i am using a dodgy copy.

H.

IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2009, 8:46pm

Thanks for the replies guys - I am not sure I am any the wiser except to say that running Win 7 64 bit is a pain.  

Can anyone tell me what are the ramifications of running it at 32 bit (I must lose some functionality othrewise there would be no point to having 64 bit)  

AND

How do I convert my laptop to 32 bit?  (and can I convert it back just as easily?)

Thanks in anticipation

Zap

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print