Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 2:51am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recording to memory stick (Read 5180 times)
zapstrap
(Offline)

Recording to memory stick
Jul 27th, 2009, 10:46pm

Hi Guys, not sure if I am asking this in the right section but wasn't sure where to put it - does anyone know what restrictions there are to recording to a USB memory stick from a TM HD receiver?

I have read that it needs to be formatted in FAT32 format but that is restricted to (insert file size here) Gb.  A lot of people are under the impression that it is 2Gb but I have read that theoretically it can handle 2Tb but in reality it may only be 8.4Gb.  

I was looking at a 16Gb memory stick for £16.99 but obviously there is no point if it won't handle more than 8Gb once formatted.  

Any help appreciated

Zap

I think therefore I am.... but what if I think I am not?
  IP Logged
gorth
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Sweden, home of AIK!

Re: Recording to memory stick
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2009, 2:06pm

I know there are limitations. I tried to copy SIMS 3 (5.7GB) to a lot of sticks, but always got the message it was too big for the target allthough there were lots of space on the sticks. I had to use an external HDD instead.

gorth Cool Cool Cool

I am not as good as I once was, but am good once as I ever was.
  IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2009, 8:15pm

I don't really want another HDD with cables etc, I have really run out of space - either that or the Wii goes (no chance with a five year old in the house - and I like it too!).  If I can use a memory stick for the odd programe I would record from Satellite that would be fine.

Another thought though, would I be able to watch it on my PC and possibly transfer it to DVD?  I have saved a fortune on kid's DVD's and even recorded whole series of a favourite show for junior in the past.

If not it does look like a HDD would be the only answer.

IP Logged
cromwell
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2009, 3:24pm

The way I Do it m8 is just download my films from RapidShare, put them onto a 16g, they are in xvid so you can get over 16 films onto it, the look at them on the PC or media centre, No need to recored now, averting is out their if you look for it.

Don't steal The government hates competition
  IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2009, 6:16pm

Cheers Cromwell - I was actually thinking of recording from a HD satellite box (TM6800) and wanted to negate the need of a seperate hard drive that is associated with it  It would be handy football, films and cartoons for the little one

Zap

IP Logged
Nick
(Offline)
God
Media Exchange Member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2009, 9:16am

Hi guys,

Have you tried Tversity ?  I don't have a Wii / PS3 etc, but understand that suing this free software you can stream from the PC down to the consol and no need to even dl the films etc ?

Don't know if that's what you're looking for.
L8ers
Nick

IP Logged
zapstrap
(Offline)

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2009, 9:41pm

Cheers for the info, but I have never heard of it - problem is my PC is upstairs and my TV and sat box are downstairs with no link bewteen the two.  

I have decided to get a TM6900 super so I might get some sort of HDD as it has a SATA output -though I have limited knowledge of this apart from the fast dataflow which is apparently needed for HD recordings - will any HDD work on this connection or have I got to look for something particular?

Cheers, Zap

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print