Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 2:19pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Much To Fit a Motorised System (Read 6650 times)
stefor
(Offline)

How Much To Fit a Motorised System
Aug 31st, 2008, 5:21pm

Hi To All

I'm based in Stockport and have just bought a Technomate TM-6900HD receiver to put on my fixed dish, which at present is pointing towards Hotbird.  Realising that to get the most from this receiver, I've decided to go motorised.  This probably sounds easy to you guys but, I don't want to get ripped off on the price and installation of a new 1m dish and all the other bits that go along with it!!  I don't want some guy turning up and quoting hundreds of pounds for something that usually is half that amount.

The house is front southerly facing, so the dish would have to be mounted on the rear wall.  I've had no problems in the past with fixed dishes getting 1deg up to 28deg E (never tried for W).

What roughly would be the right price to pay for supply and fit of a dish, LNB, Motor, brackets, Pole & Cable?

Cheers
Steve

IP Logged
sleepy
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Baldly Going!

Re: How Much To Fit a Motorised System
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2008, 7:36pm

Have you checked the site sponsor for prices, a good place to start. Wink

And perhaps you might consider a bit of DIY would save you a few quid, not rocket science to install a motor + dish and plenty of guys, including myself, on the forum will give you advice on setting things up. Smiley

Make It So!
  IP Logged
stefor
(Offline)

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2008, 9:57pm

Hi Sleepy

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I actually bought all the things to make it motorised about a year ago, but ended up selling the motor on eBay because I didn't understand about the incline of the motor depending on what part of the country I was in, I bottled out of it!!

It's not the paying and getting it fitted, it's getting ripped off by a company who try and charge you £400 for something that should only cost £250.

Hope this makes sense Roll Eyes

I know a dish kit with a 1M dish, 0.2 LNB and a technomate 2100 disecQ motor will set me back about £150.  The cables already run and is less than a year old, it's just the aligning of the ark which really puts me off doing it myself (also the fear of heights and ladders doesn't help!!) Wink

What do company's ask for fitting?

Thanks again
Steve

IP Logged
haga
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2008, 9:13pm

Easiest way to go is, buy the dish, diseq motor, T & K mount, pole and cable, there are loads of places on the net you can buy the whole package, it'll save you loads if you get it, other wise the installer will charge you top rate, once you have all the bits, then get someone in to fit it, they can only charge you labour, they should have it done easily within a couple of hours. it's not a frightening job to do yourself tho, honest, hardest part is getting the pole straight. Once thats up and done getting the angles is easy, you get 1 degree west (Thor) first, once you have a good picture on that go to hot bird and do a bit of tinkering to get a decent picture, then off to hisspat (cant remember the degree) the other end of the scale, once you have good pictures on those three the rest should fall into place, it's then a matter of tweaking the dish to get an acceptable picture across all sats.
were all here to help should you get stuck.
haga

IP Logged
stefor
(Offline)

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:11am

Much appreciated guys.

I would have a go myself but I suffer from osteoarthritis in my knees, which makes it impossible to do ladders, whatever size.  I think I'll take your advice about getting everything then phoning around to get a company in to install.

I first started satellites back in 1988 with a Zeta motorised system (If anyone remembers them)m which cost me just over £2000 fitted.  That was a simple analogue box (with a knob to tune the frequencies), a separate positioner box, a 1.2m dish!!  Those were the days;)

IP Logged
bigglesk
(Offline)
God
Media Exchange Member

The wealth ye find,
another keeps.
(Fact!)

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:35am

You say that your house is facing south and that you want the dish on the rear. This dosent make sence as the dish has to be set-up facing due south (Thor on 1 deg W is suitable). I just thought i would mention this.
I would help you with the installation, however, I live in Southsea on the south coast so best of luck.

Keith

Seeds ye sow, another reaps; /
  IP Logged
ianskill
(Offline)
Forum Moderator
Cardshare

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:32pm

yes bigglesk is correct,you need the dish mounting on the front. setting the dish up on thor (1 west) would be ideal as this is the closest to the highest point of the arc. if you are mounting on a pole,just make sure it is plumb,find a strong channel on thor,

u know me!i like free tv
  IP Logged
Termy
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 1:23pm

Hi m8, the last time I enquired about getting a motorised dish setup and mounted there wasnt too many places willing to do it. However I did find someone in the Merseyside area, theyre called Merseysat. Apparently they dont have a very good reputation, and they wanted £65 p/h plus VAT to align it, lol.

However, I do have a friend who is in the ariel fitting game, and he was on about getting the correct meters for doing motorised dish installing. I will see if I can contact him and get a price, well thats if he is doing them yet.

WWW Termy   IP Logged
stefor
(Offline)

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2008, 3:42pm

Hi All

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes the front of the house is facing south, so I have a fixed dish on a pole at the moment on the back of the house facing over the roof.  Unfortunately for me, the wife won't allow it on the front and also with it being a 1m dish, the council would have something to say if it was at the front.

Cheers

IP Logged
sleepy
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Baldly Going!

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2008, 9:11pm

I assume you don't know that the dish size limit is now 1 metre, it increased in line with european guidelines. Smiley
Can't help with the boss (wife) problem m8. Grin

Make It So!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print