Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 12:15pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
download blocking by servers (Read 8314 times)
prezo
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

download blocking by servers
Dec 29th, 2007, 12:57pm

i am with AOL, and also download from torrentbytes which has been exellent for downloading ( 800mb in 30 mins ) this was pretty constant
untill about 14 days ago.
but lately the speed has dropped that bad it is unusable, although the speed testing says an average of 4-5 meg when surfing.
now there is a rumour going around that AOL and others are blocking downloads with their software, but leaving the surfing ok.
has anyone heard anything about this.

cheers

IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Re: download blocking by servers
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2007, 1:09pm

BT have been doing this 4 a while now @ certain times of the day thats why i told them 2 shove it where the sun don`t shine & went 2 sky broadband.

H.

IP Logged
flobber
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2007, 4:05pm

Maybe you are downloading during peak time or exceeded your cap?  

Code:
http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadband/faqBroadband.adp 

IP Logged
prezo
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2007, 5:04pm

no cap exeeded, and peak time with them is early afternoon and the rest of the day.
never been the same since takeover by car phone wharehouse.
i pay top price to them, so they can piss off i am leaving for pastures new.

IP Logged
kev
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2008, 4:06pm

i got capped by orange by abusing there fair use policy unlimited use changed to 40 gig allowance then to fair use policy - so what is fair use policy? also i fkd them off and went to sky b/b  and jesus theyre crap to softwere issues with the netgear router all sorts of problems and they admitted it to so i went back to orange on a new deal i wouldnt recommend sky at all for b/b and to be honest they are all robbing b'stards you should be on it for  free if your paying for a phone line

IP Logged
Markymarc
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 5:48am

Quote from kev on Jan 1st, 2008, 4:06pm:
i got capped by orange by abusing there fair use policy unlimited use changed to 40 gig allowance then to fair use policy - so what is fair use policy? also i fkd them off and went to sky b/b and jesus theyre crap to softwere issues with the netgear router all sorts of problems and they admitted it to so i went back to orange on a new deal i wouldnt recommend sky at all for b/b and to be honest they are all robbing b'stards you should be on it for free if your paying for a phone line

I could not agree more with kev, I am with aol though my d/l seems ok at the moment, I have a few friends that are grumbling about them, I must be getting away with something at the minute so will keep quiet, my only grumble is sending emails through outlook, it takes ages and always throws it back as spam.

Marc

IP Logged
chub
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:48am

im also with aol..at one stage my speed reduced to less than dial-up...im paying£9.99 pm for 8meg speed but have never been above 2 meg. when i complained(via online help and by phone), i got the runaround routine from the start. apparently ive been capped as i went over my limit. when i asked what my limit was i was told 60 gig, then 20gig then10 gig and finally 40 gig. when i started to get a bit "ratty" at this stage they put the phone down on me and sent me an e-mail about d/load limits. to this day i still dont know whatr my limit is as it depends who you get on the line.....i HATE being with aol and cant wait till my contracts up...then they can go and take a flying fluck to there crappy service and help line.......................and im spent Angry

why rest on your laurels when you can rest on your hardys!
  IP Logged
prezo
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2008, 3:02pm

Quote from chub on Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:48am:
im also with aol..at one stage my speed reduced to less than dial-up...im paying£9.99 pm for 8meg speed but have never been above 2 meg. when i complained(via online help and by phone), i got the runaround routine from the start. apparently ive been capped as i went over my limit. when i asked what my limit was i was told 60 gig, then 20gig then10 gig and finally 40 gig. when i started to get a bit "ratty" at this stage they put the phone down on me and sent me an e-mail about d/load limits. to this day i still dont know whatr my limit is as it depends who you get on the line.....i HATE being with aol and cant wait till my contracts up...then they can go and take a flying fluck to there crappy service and help line.......................and im spent Angry

my speeds are ok when surfing.
it`s when i use Azureus or similar, that the download speeds are zero, from any site. and it`s like that all the time.

IP Logged
Markymarc
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2008, 6:37pm

I think I have been capped now, did some mega download and now my speeds are almost zero, so much for saying that I am unlimited Sad how long does the cap last is it 30 days

Cheers

Marc

IP Logged
flobber
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2008, 9:48pm

Quote:
I think I have been capped now, did some mega download and now my speeds are almost zero, so much for saying that I am unlimited Sad how long does the cap last is it 30 days

From AOL Home > Frequently Asked Questions

How will I know if I have exceeded what is deemed acceptable downloads under the Fair Use policy?

Only those who download extremely high volumes of data are likely to trigger the Fair Use policy. If you do not make regular use of peer to peer services for example, you are unlikely to trigger the Fair Use policy. At the moment, you will know if you have exceeded the Fair Use policy as your download speeds will be temporarily restricted during peak hours. We are not able to guarantee that we will provide prior notice anyone who is speed limited as a result of unfair use of the network. However, the AOL Broadband terms of service do reserve the right to take this type of action in order to protect our networks. Also, the speed restriction is a temporary measure and each month we review the accounts that have been speed limited during peak hours.

IP Logged
Markymarc
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2008, 10:53pm

cheers for the info, should have looked myself, lol

Thanks

IP Logged
prezo
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2008, 11:37am

Quote from flobber on Jan 6th, 2008, 9:48pm:
Quote:

From AOL Home > Frequently Asked Questions

How will I know if I have exceeded what is deemed acceptable downloads under the Fair Use policy?

Only those who download extremely high volumes of data are likely to trigger the Fair Use policy. If you do not make regular use of peer to peer services for example, you are unlikely to trigger the Fair Use policy. At the moment, you will know if you have exceeded the Fair Use policy as your download speeds will be temporarily restricted during peak hours. We are not able to guarantee that we will provide prior notice anyone who is speed limited as a result of unfair use of the network. However, the AOL Broadband terms of service do reserve the right to take this type of action in order to protect our networks. Also, the speed restriction is a temporary measure and each month we review the accounts that have been speed limited during peak hours.

in my case i downloaded 2gb in a month and was still on zero speed the following month, when i pointed this out to them, the only answer i got was "your speed is ok " they didn`t know the difference between the speed from the exchange, and the download speed of my downloads from Torrentbytes via Azureus,

IP Logged
Markymarc
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2008, 4:32pm

I only downloaded some maps, from somewhere, cough cough Smiley but I was running out of disk space so had to download again when I had made some room, did this about 3 times and my speed has only reduced since doing that, and as for stopping peak downloads, it is 24/7 at the minute i may as well have dial up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print