Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 1:14pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Signal strength of BBC on 2D dropped ?! (Read 5133 times)
BeatO
(Offline)
God

Take It Easy !

Signal strength of BBC on 2D dropped ?!
May 18th, 2007, 8:54pm

Hi M8s

Since a few days I see quite some signal strength changes on the BBC transponders. Normally, I've no problem with the reception of BBC1 to 4 on the Astra 2D transponders down here. But last week as well as this weeks, there are days or parts of it, where the strength and therefore the quality of the signal drop quite a lot which results in those channels to be hard at the threshold of the receiver, with quite some BER and from time to time it's giving me some interruptions.  

Did you notice that too? I don't mean the dropout. but if you look at the signal/quality level, do you see any drop at all in the UK.  

On the other hand, the ITV1-4, which are on the 2D as well, are as they are ever, good signal for my location.

BeatO

Humax VACI-5300 & Alphacrypt 3.x & MR with MRev1.3ish
P4-223 Hauppauge Nexus-S with ProgDVB for recording and MediaMVP for watching
DM600pvr-S, TechnoTrend S2-3650CI for HD on PC
Connected to a WaveFrontier T90 13/19/28
WWW   IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Re: Signal strength of BBC on 2D dropped ?!
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2007, 11:17pm

The weather has been really miserable here this week so it could be something as simple as heavy rain affecting things.

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
BeatO
(Offline)
God

Take It Easy !

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2007, 8:17am

Hi Steve

That was what I thought of at first as well, especially as the first time I saw that about a week ago, it was very cloudy and lightly raining.

But at the moment it's bright sunshine, no clouds in sight at all and I still have a very weak signal.

Another thing against this theory is that the ITV transponders get in as usual.

Or do you think it could be something with the uplinking influenced by the bad weather in the UK?

I hope they don't play any tricks to focus the spot beam even more to the British isles.

BeatO

WWW   IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2007, 10:13am

The bad weather problem works both on the uplink and downlink.

I remember quite a few years ago watching sky news fade into nothing back in the analogue days when there was bright sunshine here.  

They reappeard about 5 mins later with a camera shot over their uplink showing a huge thunderstorm overhead explaining that there was so much rain it had blocked the uplink to Astra 1!

WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
BeatO
(Offline)
God

Take It Easy !

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2007, 12:04pm

That was quite a thing, I guess... Anyway, is the weather still that bad in the UK at the moment, I'm still having that weak signal.  

Do you know where they uplink from now?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2007, 12:26pm

The weather is not too bad today, I would have thought that you would have normal conditions.

The BBC uplink from the SBSM London Teleport, which I think is located in or very close to BBC TV centre.

BeatO
(Offline)
God

Take It Easy !

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2007, 1:47pm

Hi M8s

So, I finally figured it out! And to say it, the hardware fooled my one more time.  

First I thought I just had bad reception of the BBC channels, 1 to 4 and the ITV 1-4 were all good signal. But late last night it popped into my mind, that the ITV and BBC channels, at least the ones I tuned into, were on different polarization.  A quick check this morning showed indeed, that all the Astra2D channels on horizontal pol. were bad,  and the ones on vertical were good. Thats for the low band, I've checked the high band as well, but as these frequencies were not on the 2D spotbeam, the difference was not that big.  

First I changed the cable for that level (Low/Horizontal) to my 17/8 switch, which did not help. Next I changed the quarto LNB (was a lemon LEMP40QTL) to a Titanium Edition one from smart-electronics.de, which happened to be around for a friend where I'm supposed to make some installation work shortly. Wink

That did the trick, now all the 2D frequencies get in with a resonable signal and quality level. Once again, it was the Smiley Smiley Smiley  hardware...

Anyway, that one is working, now I'm gona get some food and work on another topic (Hi Steve.....)

BeatO

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print