Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 6:30am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Freesat with BBC and ITV (Read 2738 times)
BeatO
(Offline)
God

Take It Easy !

Freesat with BBC and ITV
Apr 30th, 2007, 5:30pm

Hi M8s

In a German newsletter I've seen the announcement, that the BBC Trust agreed on the creation of a Freesat TV Bouquet including the BBC and ITV channels. This should be seen as a competition to the Sky offer. Plans for HD channels, also from ITV, are mentioned as well.  

Earlier this year, there were rumors around that this would result in the BBC channels being encrypted again, but now they wrote (according to a inquiry by Area DVD), that the BBC will be "in the clear" on Astra 2D with it's UK footprint. They also said that they will develop a new receiver for this.  

To me that sounds like they will start with new services on new transponders in parallel with the currently existing ones, probably encrypted.  

Any comments on that one?

BeatO

Humax VACI-5300 & Alphacrypt 3.x & MR with MRev1.3ish
P4-223 Hauppauge Nexus-S with ProgDVB for recording and MediaMVP for watching
DM600pvr-S, TechnoTrend S2-3650CI for HD on PC
Connected to a WaveFrontier T90 13/19/28
WWW   IP Logged
brad5150
(Offline)
God

Re: Freesat with BBC and ITV
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2007, 5:31pm

good thing i think ,there should be more choice than just sky anyways

WWW bradstar5150   IP Logged
filmfan
(Offline)

Re: Freesat with BBC and ITV
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007, 5:51pm

Bad news if its encrypted as then they have to go for Sky`s NDS encryption sensibly which I feel would be a mistake for a rival to Sky as they would license the encrytion.Far better if possible to transmit in the clear then in the future other services that Murdock has squeezed hard and payed less for the inclusion  on his subscription service may be tempted to join the rival package and see if there take of advertising increases.
From what I have read on other forums Murdock is squeezing hard to get up his profitability at the expense of other services his Sky package carries.(not checked)

The UK needs a decent rival to Sky or else we will be left with extortionate subscription charges.We need a rival  to enable choice at reasonable prices.
I cannot understand people happy to pay lots of money to a service to watch lots of adverts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print