Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 9:46pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FLASHGET Spyware or Not ? (Read 3868 times)
crobin57
Ex Member

FLASHGET Spyware or Not ?
Feb 8th, 2005, 1:24pm

Hi M8's  

I have a copy and paste post for your information.

Quote:
SPYWARE IN FLASHGET...?

Many of you have installed GIANT Antispyware and/or PestPatrol, and are shocked to discover that after a scan, FlashGet appears on the list.

When you first install FlashGet, there is an advertisement box that appears at the top of the program. This ad connects to the Internet. When you register FlashGet, the ad disappears. But some remnants of the code from the ad are still in a file or two in the FlashGet folder. Specifically, the file JCCatch.dll (Thanks To SphereTic* for reminding me about the filename).

There is NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND THIS FILE NEEDS TO BE LEFT ALONE IN ORDER FOR FLASHGET TO FUNCTION PROPERLY. FlashGet Does NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT Have Any Adware, Spyware or whatever, AFTER THE REGISTRATION Has been completed.

The most trusted Antispyware programs such as SpySweeper, SpyBot and Ad-Aware do not detect any hints of malware in FlashGet. GIANT Antispyware is an excellent program, despite the sensitivity it has towards FlashGet. PestPatrol is also very sensitive. I have used many different Antispyware programs, and consistently go back to using SpyBot-S&D, SpySweeper, SpywareBlaster & Ad-Muncher. Since using this combination of protection, I have not had ONE Single instance of malware causing any harm to my system. That is not to say that Spyware doesn't get onto my system, but when it does, it is caught and removed without incident. These four applications work well for my system, but might not work out for yours. Test different software and find software that you like, and that runs well with your specific system setup.... You may be surprised at what you find.

I use both programs and I know others do here, I think it's explains the problem very well. So brought it home for my m8's.  Grin

IP Logged
fatbloke
Ex Member

Re: FLASHGET Spyware or Not ?
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2005, 4:36pm

thanks for that chris, i was considering dumping flashget because of this
looks like i can keep old faithful for a little bit longer  Grin

FB

IP Logged
Ghoulie
(Offline)

nil carborundum
illegitimi

Re: FLASHGET Spyware or Not ?
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2005, 12:00pm

my spyware doctor prog brings up flashget as spyware & shows it is in the stilesoft keys area which is my Netcaptor browser.  When I delete flashget, i automatically lose my registration key with Netcaptor.  Stilesoft deny they have flashget associated with their prog - but its there alright - even after removal & reinstall.  Interstingly none of the other progs bring up flashget as spyware - not even the new microsoft Giant.  Guess I'll put it on ignore under Spyware Doctor

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print