Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 12:16pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BT Broadband Upgrading (Read 20843 times)
gss
(Offline)
God

time to be a devil

Re: BT Broadband Upgrading
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2005, 9:00am

I pay £22.96 a month for 1mb and no download limits with supanet i think thats a good deal ,although I've never tried any others as i've always been pleased with supanet for past 5 years.

IP Logged
channel
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2005, 9:57am

Quote from crobin57   on Feb 12th, 2005, 12:48am:
I got my letter to today and I thought I would copy & paste mine, because we seem to be getting different mails. Read mine and see if yours are the same as mine.
I have not copied it all just the bit thats matters.

Dear Mr ........................

We're always looking for ways to offer BT Yahoo! Broadband customers the best possible service, and that's why we're busy upgrading your line to 2Mb. That's twice your current speed. You will be pleased to know that, as a BT Yahoo! Broadband 1Mb customer, you'll receive this upgrade first. In addition, we're reducing your price for three months, giving you even better value.

You don't have to do a thing
Rest assured, this upgrade is at no extra cost to you and it requires no extra equipment. It will happen sometime between 17th February and 9th March 2005.

Most upgrades will take place automatically - you won't need to do anything and there will be no need for an engineer to visit. On the actual day of the upgrade, you may experience a short loss of service - this should be less than 30 minutes. In the unlikely event that your line cannot support 2Mb, we'll let you know as soon as possible.

Not a penny more
We're reducing the cost of your BT Yahoo! Broadband service by £2.99 a month (from £29.99* down to £27.00*) for three months from February or March - depending on your billing date.
You'll keep your 30GB (gigabyte) monthly usage allowance with your new 2Mb service. 30GB usage is more than enough for the vast majority of customers. For example, you can send and receive about 500 photos and watch 6 hours of video downloaded from the web each week.

Your right there Bill,  I got my letter and it seems all I get to keep is my 15gb allowance a month which gives cause for complaint I think if others are getting 30gb.  

channel

Humax 5400, Irdeto embedded cam, Dragon cam, M11 card, white tit card, fun card, silver card, gold cards, 90cm static dish, triple feed, picks up Astra19.2 East, Thor 1 west , Hotbird 13 East.
  IP Logged
crobin57
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2005, 11:48am

Hi m8's  Grin

Well I'm glad I posted my letter here so you all can see and complain. It must have taken more time sending the correct letters to peep's that caused the delay.

Ideal time to look around and find a 2MB connection without the cap. There must be thousands maybe millions that do not use there allowance of 15 or 30GB per month. But it's there that pisses peeps off.  undecided

IP Logged
BUNTER
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2005, 1:05pm

well I you use the limits within 2 weeks I was on 2 mb last month and went past 45 gig in 6 days...lol that was only on emule nevermind nothing else

limits are for people that does not understand what can be done with bandwidth :'( :'( :'(

IP Logged
Markymarc
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2005, 7:37am

Hiya,

Has anyone heard if this will be happening to wanadoo.

Cheers

IP Logged
channel
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2005, 11:34am

@crowbin
               Hi m8, seems we were on two different tarrifs and I was only paying £21.50 for my 1mb connection, but Ive now upped it to the £29 option as I cant see the point of being upgraded to 2mb and having to be cafeful what you down or upload not that 30gb is any big deal but its better than 15

channel

Humax 5400, Irdeto embedded cam, Dragon cam, M11 card, white tit card, fun card, silver card, gold cards, 90cm static dish, triple feed, picks up Astra19.2 East, Thor 1 west , Hotbird 13 East.
  IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Reply #21 - Feb 17th, 2005, 1:35pm

I`ve just found out i`m not on bt yahoo,i changed my e.mail 2 bt yahoo but they didn`t change my broadband over.
Will wait 2 see what happens with the change over before i alter mine.
Might be changing my provider if i`m not happy with the change.

H.

IP Logged
channel
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2005, 3:25pm

If you changed from Btbroadband to YahooBtbroadband you should have got a cd with the relevent software H, thing is if your still provided by btbroadband you`ll get the 2mb upgrade but you will still have the 15gb cap, I think their price for 1mb is around £24 against yahoo which is £29, might be worth a quick phone call and check.

regards

channel

IP Logged
crobin57
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2005, 11:00pm

Hi m8's  Grin

Sorry about the copy & pasting but it's important if peep's go armed with the correct information.

Quote:
BT revs up its broadband packages
More speed less waste says BT
Dinah Greek, Computeractive 10 Feb 2005

BT is to upgrade all but one of its broadband packages to a standard 2mbps bandwidth without increasing the prices.

. There is however a sting in the tale as all the services will now be subject to a cap. But BT said although it hadn't yet enforced these caps, they have been in place since June 2004 and its customers were well aware of the restriction.

BTYahoo and BT Broadband services will automatically be upgraded to 2 Mbps. Depending on the price they pay monthly, they will have either a 15 GB download cap or the £29.99 per month service will come with a 30 Gb limit.

There are some exceptions to the upgrade however. People on what BT calls its 'no frills' service, the BT Broadband Basic £17.99 per month service will only have their speed increased from 512k up to 1 Mbps and have a 1GB download limit.

Also around five per cent of customers who are too far away from the exchange will not be upgraded because of technical limitations.

The company said the montly allowance would not be a problem as it was sufficient for most people. For those who want extra capacity, they can could either pay extra to have their download quota increased or talk to BT about having a lower bandwidth but higher download.

"We find most people will find these limits sufficient but if they want more they can get it by paying extra or transferring to a lower bandwidth," said Duncan Ingram.

The telco said the higher speeds will pave the way for new services such as video-over-broadband and also allow customers to get more from multiple connections.

BT will begin to transfer its current 1.4 million retail broadband from 17th February, but new customers will have to wait until 24th March to get the new services.

New consumer customers can order these services from February 17 from BT.com or by calling 0800 328 9041

Right now things are changing you can reduce your bandwith for more GB's. B*ll*ocks.

I said in an earlier post that I wanted a 2MB connection but I would not pay for it.

This is B*ll*cks to

There is however a sting in the tale as all the services will now be subject to a cap. But BT said although it hadn't yet enforced these caps, they have been in place since June 2004 and its customers were well aware of the restriction.

Peep's with the £29.99 connection will get the 30GB no change there. But the above paragraph is untrue, My son was on a new contract after the 1MB Upgrades, he was on a lower Tarif and was capped to 2GB if he went over they were emailed saying they were approaching there limit and was charged for slightly going over the Cap.

The offer of dropping the bandwith sounds good to me but what is the exchange rate? lol   undecided

IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Reply #24 - Feb 18th, 2005, 6:45am

Well chris i would stick with the 1mb if there wasn`t a limit 2 what i could d/l.
It would be nice 2 have  faster speeds  but is it going 2 make that big a difference  undecided
You can only surf as fast as the net will let you,if the site was slow where you are d/l from whats the use of 2mb speed.
Now if we where all on 2mb each way then you would see the difference.

H.

IP Logged
BUNTER
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 18th, 2005, 9:42am

I agree with H, on this one!

I am with eclipse.net they are the only providers that use a system called flexing what this means is when you sign up to their 1 monthly contracts they ask BT to up your broadband to the lines maximum in my case thats 2.3 mps and although my contract is for £24 pm @ 512 download I have the option to flex up to my limits @ 04.5p per hour at 1MB or 06.5p at 2.3mb this can be done at 1/2/4/8/12 rates and a special rate for the whole weekend and all with unlimited bandwidth.

at the end of the day pages wont open any faster with being on 2 mb so unless your d/l lots you might as well stay on 512

bunter

IP Logged
crobin57
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 18th, 2005, 4:29pm

I agree with H too

It depends where you surf your limited to there speeds. I had someone ask me to download some software because they did not have broadband they were getting something like 2KBp/s I went to download from the same site and I also got 2KBp/s   undecided

IP Logged
bikefan
(Offline)

Reply #27 - Feb 18th, 2005, 8:29pm

I use a BT line with my ISP provider Free-online.Got an E mail
couple of days ago saying my account is going to have a download limit of 21GB which is going to be called "Fair usage".The speed is going to be set at the max speed it will
run at on this line.If you download over your fair usage you
can pay more or run at 128kbs until your payment is taken the next month.Was concerned until I visited Free`s page and found I only download about 1G a month as I just read
and post on satforums so it will be ok for me.
  Any idea what the max speed is on a std BT line?
    Cheers bikefan Grin

IP Logged
crobin57
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2005, 5:26pm

Hi m8's  Grin Shocked

I just realized that I have my 2MB connection Hummmmm!!!! Nice...
mute (attachment deleted)  

IP Logged
channel
(Offline)
Media Exchange Member

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2005, 6:00pm

Good to hear crobin,  
                    not happened here yet but I was about a week behind you with the letter so it shouldnt be long now.

channel
mute (attachment deleted)  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print