Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 12:30pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet another Alexa post, sorry Steve.. (Read 3036 times)
Hokey
Ex Member

Yet another Alexa post, sorry Steve..
Feb 21st, 2004, 10:18am

You may know, and be bored, by my attacks on the search engine Alexa. Grin
But me and Steve have discussed it on this board and we both think too many people think it is the "bible of hits". But get this:
Steve's site was ranked 17,000 (give or take a few extra digits), then two days later was ranked 1,700,000. Nutty. Grin
My m8's cushion making site was ranked 200,000, then a three months later was ranked 3,846,790. Shocked The curious thing is, her hits had risen by 40% not dropped. Grin
And now today, our adult dvd review site/gossip pages has dropped from 347,902 to "no data" in ther space of three days. No data means it has dropped below the four million mark. Grin Nutty. Grin
Hokey. Grin

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Re: Yet another Alexa post, sorry Steve..
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2004, 11:19am

Well today the forum is ranked at 294,055, an increrase of 254% according to alexa. My own tracking says the traffic has been steady on here for weeks!  

I'm sure they make it up! Roll Eyes

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
Hokey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2004, 11:50am

They make it up, Steve, because they cannot track traffic. Grin What about the hits you get from referrals...I don't think they're counted.
I do think around 200,00 is right though. Pity it doesn't stick that way...
Hokey. Grin

IP Logged
Hokey
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 9:27am

Just received this tired explanation from Alexa:

"Question:  
Why does my site's traffic rank say 'No Data'?
Traffic and Site Stats  

Alexa's rankings are based on the past 3 months of Alexa Toolbar user traffic, and is updated every 1-2 weeks. A traffic ranking of "no data" indicates that no Alexa Toolbar users have visited the site in the past 3 months. Any visits that have occurred after our last update will be counted in the next update."

So that means that a site could have 1 million unique hits per month, but if none of those users have an Alexa Toolbar, the site is deemed NOT ranked.

Nutty. Grin

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 9:45am

That's useful! I'm surprised they dont drop spyware on everyone's comp so they can get more stats!

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
Hokey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2004, 8:51am

Yeah. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print