Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 4:03pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High speed internet..:) (Read 6420 times)
blue604
Ex Member

High speed internet..:)
Jan 2nd, 2004, 2:09am

GrinI went the shortcut way to high speed connection guys;
I paid a years subs(23.99) for the new Onspeed software.....and it works......tried a download and it never fell below 15k.....it's usually 4..Smiley

IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Re: High speed internet..:)
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2004, 1:04pm

Well if thats made you happy blue m8,wait till broadband gets 2 your part of the world,you will be creaming your pants  Roll Eyes  Grin

H.

IP Logged
ect
(Offline)

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2004, 4:05pm

sounds good m8, just been on their web site & has got me interested (seems like no b/band in my area for years to come). i,m always a bit sceptical about things like this & would like to hear from anyone else whos tried it Smiley?

regds ect Grin

SUPER MILLWALL
  IP Logged
fatbloke
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2004, 5:32pm

harry i think when broadband finally gets to blues part of the world he will be too old to cream his pants  Grin Grin Grin
fatbloke

IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2004, 5:58pm

LMFAO HEHEHE  Grin Grin Grin  Roll Eyes

H.

IP Logged
ect
(Offline)

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 1:23am

@ blue604

just signed up for a years worth(now £24.99)& atm seems to be a lot faster loading pages than before....one strange thing, when i tried to access this board i got a d/load file message, disengaged onspeed got on no probs Roll Eyes iv,e heard it don,t work with mp3 d/loads ,i tried it,seems slightly better(usually 2.50-3.00kbs, now around 4,00)with dial-up, anyways pretty happy with it ,cheers blue m8 for info Grin

regds ect Cheesy

SUPER MILLWALL
  IP Logged
BUNTER
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 1:41am

@ect already told the boss about the popups seems as every one is different experience with this  

theres not meant to be any pop ups but it must be coming from somewhere unless its in IE /6.0/6.5/7

IP Logged
ect
(Offline)

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 3:11am

thanx BUNTER M8 its the popup/ message you get when d/loading a file(open/save/cancel etc type

regsd ect Wink

SUPER MILLWALL
  IP Logged
ianskill
(Offline)
Forum Moderator
Cardshare

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:49am

seems interesting but dont work with the aol browser for now.i been on aol for a while now.dont think it works on mpeg videos,so dont know about avi.

u know me!i like free tv
  IP Logged
locktightT
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 2:52pm

Hi m8's

Read about this yesterday, it cannot compress files that are already compressed, MP3 Zip Rar Etc. The best results are on sites that are mainly text based or have normal pictures (Jpeg, Gif etc) cannot compress Flash either.

It will be interesting to see how their bandwidth holds out when more people subscribe but it looks good for now.

T

PS It works with Broadband too mates, so if Blue is happy with 14K  think what Termy could achieve with his connection Roll Eyes (Sorry Blue m8)

IP Logged
Termy
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 3:43pm

Quote from locktightT   on Jan 3rd, 2004, 2:52pm:

PS It works with Broadband too mates, so if Blue is happy with 14K  think what Termy could achieve with his connection Roll Eyes (Sorry Blue m8)

I know its not excactly the same but I was d/l mp3's off a site last night and was starting off at 348kb/s and d/l films off another starting at the same rate but dropping down to between 250/300kb/s at a constant rate.

And at the moment I am only on the 1mb Blueyonder,  as they gave me a free trial for a few months. I am going back to the 2mb though in a week or two.  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

WWW Termy   IP Logged
ect
(Offline)

Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 3:56pm

@ locktightT

as you say its not supposed to work with mp3s,but i d/loaded an mp3 from a p2p using onspeed & dial-up & speed was 4.50-5.00kbs, turned it off & it dropped to 2.50-3.00kps then enabled it again &speed went up,maybe coincidents maybe not but something gave a better d/l speed with it on Grin........i,m happy with it atm Smiley

regds ect Wink

SUPER MILLWALL
  IP Logged
locktightT
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 6:45pm

HI m8

Probably what you were seeing is the better bandwidth onspeed has that was assisting your download from where ever the other party was on the p2p connection? I think what you should find, according to the info I read, is that the speed of download cannot exceed your 56k connection for this type of file as it cannot compress what is already compressed.

If it were a text based site then your dl speeds could exceed the 56k using the compression.

T undecided

IP Logged
blue604
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2004, 5:24pm

Roll EyesWell guys, finally got back on the site......when I first used the Onspeed soft it allowed me access everywhere including Steve's....now I have to turn it off before I get access.....keeps throwing me a Yabb file download box(maybe the same as ECT gets?).
It's still working o.k., but the good thing I've found out about it is it keeps a constant flow...whereas before it was like treacle surfing the net......if it freezes anywhere now, a refresh works wonders.....As it also works on Broadband I expect folks will be trying it also.....greedy speed baskets..... Grin Tongue

IP Logged
Termy
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2004, 6:41pm

I'll have to give it a go then m8.  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

WWW Termy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print