Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 10:30am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Playing with FTP (Read 3377 times)
gonawayuk
(Offline)

It's the weather

Playing with FTP
Dec 11th, 2003, 2:55pm

Hi M8's

Gorth set me off playing with FTP yesterday as he wanted a 115meg file to test. So as NTL offer a free 55meg web space decided to play around and see what I could come up with. They also offed a free 30 day trial of Terrapin (£20 if I want it after 30 days). The software was very easy to install and use, took a couple of minutes to get round it. Now I had the problem of fitting a 115meg file into 55meg of space, solution ARJ and breaking it into 40meg sections and parts of. Seemed pretty slow on the upload side only running at 10kb/s, so the 40meg took an hour to upload, Report from Gorth on download was very good 8mins for a 40meg file.
Conclusion it seems to be one easy way for transferring files that won't fit on an email or through the upload section. a bigger web space 1gig would allow movies to be swopped with out long delays and downloads.

comments welcome

gonawayuk

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Re: Playing with FTP
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2003, 3:41pm

Hiya m8

The FTP is fine, but you are the only person that can upload anything to that FTP!

We would all need to have our own FTP space, or find an anonymous FTP where anyone can use but then it could be hijacked by someone else! Shocked

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
gonawayuk
(Offline)

It's the weather

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2003, 6:37pm

Hi steve

have to agree, the advantage I see in it is if someone wants a file I have, I can upload it for them (same day delivery)  Grin  Grin  
At least I control what goes on there and who can download, when I sort out a password control.  8) 8)

Had a look around at the sites offering free web space and reading the comments all seem pretty poor.  

Still something to play with during the long winter nights.

gonawayuk

IP Logged
juan_cur
(Offline)
God

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2003, 6:57pm

Strange you should bring this up Gonaway, I've been thinking about the same sort of thing since finally getting an ADSL connection. I've been using Bit Torrent to download movies etc. and it sems to work pretty well, I like it because it only opens up the file I am downloading to others unlike other file sharing systems. It occurred to me that if one of us with a movie or whatever to share among ourselves seeded that file it would be available to download presumably only to those who have the torrent file. My knowledge of this is very limited so I may be totally wrong.

IP Logged
gorth
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Sweden, home of AIK!

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2003, 12:21am

Hi m8's,

The download speed was very good, but I still can't get rid of the thought of connecting directly to another comp. and dl files. Surely there are password protections to use, if we want to keep the rest of our HDD:s private. Or even just allow dl:inf a specific file?

gorth 8) 8) 8)

I am not as good as I once was, but am good once as I ever was.
  IP Logged
gonawayuk
(Offline)

It's the weather

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2003, 12:37am

Having gone through trying Winzip,Ace,RAR they don't give me what ARJ does, the ability to make multiple vols of what ever size I want and will join them together back into one large file.

gonawayuk

IP Logged
gorth
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Sweden, home of AIK!

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2003, 12:48am

So we are the Beta testers then? Grin

gorth 8) 8) 8)

I am not as good as I once was, but am good once as I ever was.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print