Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 29th, 2024, 4:05pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
@Steve...what is BANDWIDTH??? (Read 1665 times)
Hokey
Ex Member

@Steve...what is BANDWIDTH???
Oct 21st, 2003, 7:57am

Steve, m8, I bought a cheapo website for only $4 per month. For that, I got a domain name and  50 Megabytes of disk space.
I only used JUST 8.67 Megabytes with 41.33 Megabytes, yet by site has BEEN PULLED off the Internet by the server because I exceeded Bandwidth Usage this month 2095.49 Megabytes.  Angry

I don't understand it m8, what the heck is bandwidth? How can I have all 41.33 Megabytes left, yet I have exceeded something. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

How do I put it right, or do I have to wait until the month is up???

Thanks, m8, for your help in advance. Smiley

Hokey. Wink

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Re: @Steve...what is BANDWIDTH???
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2003, 9:17am

Hiya m8

$4 a month is very cheap for a website!

A quick description of bandwidth is the amount of data that is passed thru the server to the internet. You should always try to get server space which has either 'unlimited bandwidth' or get one which offers as much bandwidth as you can afford to pay.

For example if you have a 1mb file on your site that is downloaded 50 times, the bandwidth used (passed from the server to the net) is 50mb. It doesnt matter if the file is a .zip, .gif, .jpg or a html page it still counts to the bandwidth count.

2095mb of bandwidth is a reasonable for a small website, our forums use about 3 times that amount in a quiet month.

The only way to fix it is to buy additional bandwidth from the hosts, or wait until the next month!

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
Hokey
Ex Member

Re: @Steve...what is BANDWIDTH???
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2003, 10:04am

Thanks, Steve. Wink

I thought I may have to wait for the next month. I was gonna pull my credit details and get my money back, but I dunno.

Thanks. You have explained it...a bit more. Grin

Regards, Hokey. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print