Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 1:52pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
showing football in pubs (Read 10674 times)
max
(Offline)

showing football in pubs
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:18am

Does anyone know if it is illegal in this country to show football in a pub with a genuine, fully paid for,  viewing card from the company that sells them, ie, conax etc

IP Logged
gorth
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Sweden, home of AIK!

Re: showing football in pubs
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2003, 10:40am

Hi m8's,

It is illegal in Sweden anyway. You'll need a special licence. Wink

gorth 8) 8) 8)

I am not as good as I once was, but am good once as I ever was.
  IP Logged
locktightT
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2003, 10:55am

Hi m8

I would have thought it would be along the same lines as Sly in the uk, you pay one price for a residential viewing card and another, much higher, price for the rights to show the TV in a pub/club?

T

IP Logged
reddevil
(Offline)
God

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2003, 3:32pm

hi m8

you got to inform them that the subscription is for recreational viewing otherwise they will discontinue
subscription if they are not informed earlier, get it in writing.i believe recreational and private subscription vary a lot.just mention to them that its a single point distribution and you may get it cheaper + a contract from them.

good luck

IP Logged
blue604
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2003, 5:31pm

SmileyI think we're in a grey area here guys.....with the prog. prov. from U.K. you need the whole lot, but because the card for say conax is not an official card in this country then I am sure they don't have a law for this. At the moment they can't sort out or totally agree on laws to cover normal eventuality's, so for a club to show football using another type of programming I reckon all the club would be doing is drawing attention to themselves and eventually hurry in a stupid law to stop them.....if one club could show something, it would take about a month for all clubs to jump on the waggon.
 The normal gaming and lotteries act would surely cover this, but they may look at it as an abuse of the licence and have it revoked.
 I may be totally wrong, but I reckon it's an area that's been covered thoroughly for the U.K. S.. prov. but they can't cover it properly for ouside the country broadcasts until a solid law is in place, the only law that would be expected by the system to cover this would be the high morals of the individual clubs and their members who are expected to stay within the good name of these clubs who are given a licence from the Local authorites and seconded by the Police.....for clubs to do this would be an excuse for their licence to be blocked.
 undecided

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2003, 5:51pm

In the old D2 Mac days a lot of pubs around where I live installed 1w systems and used pirate MultiMac cards.(ahh the old days!)

The FA tried to sue a couple of the larger ones saying they were in breach of FA 'broadcast' licence conditions but I'm fairly sure no one was actually convicted of this, or they settled out of court.

The TV providers never took any action against them.

Steve.

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
toto
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2003, 6:18pm

Roll Eyes Wink SmileyHi m8s,Well i was listening to Talk Sport the other morning and i dont know if i was hearing things------some guy came on he must have been a landlord of a pub that showed all of the Premiership games through the season-------He said and this is the bit i cannot believe that s** had put up the charges for pubs to show these games to an incredible £15,000 per year------can you believe that---just think of how much beer he would have to sell to cover his costs----its incredible---i would like to know if these facts are correct----regards TOTO Roll Eyes

IP Logged
fatbloke
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2003, 6:18pm

a large percentage of the pubs in liverpool show footy, and even advertise it in the local press.
one pub near me has five dishes on the side of it !
i think the FA threatened to sue the breweries rather than individual pubs and quite a few got cold feet and stopped showing it
fatbloke

IP Logged
bigglesk
(Offline)
God
Media Exchange Member

The wealth ye find,
another keeps.
(Fact!)

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2003, 6:57pm

The pubs in my area, pay an arm and a leg to show "Sky" footy or boxing. Thank God that I get SOME free viewing. I agree with toto.............The cost is rediculous....I don't think it is as much as £15 K per year, well not in my area. I used my calculator and that works out at £288 per week....If that is for the brewery that is ok, but not for a Pub..........I don't go to the pub now.......I stay at home and conglobulate.

Just....."Biggles K".... 8) 8) 8) 8) Hic !

Seeds ye sow, another reaps; /
  IP Logged
eccles
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2003, 7:01pm

I wonder what the situation would be if pubs just showed feeds?

IP Logged
blue604
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2003, 11:39pm

SmileyThis is an interesting thread guys, because I don't think anybody could give you a positive answer. There are so many if's and maybe's.
 To add to it; a couple of years ago I did visit supporters clubs in Canada who got setanta sports and they paid a paltry $5 a game, and if it was live it was $15 a game. Smiley

IP Logged
fatbloke
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2003, 11:45pm

i supposed the FA would argue that they have sold exclusive broadcast rights to a specific provider for each country, so you could only legally watch with the provider who did the deal with the FA.
any legally bought card for a package not intended for UK would probably break copyright laws
not that we care about legal  Grin Grin Grin
fatbloke

IP Logged
max
(Offline)

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2003, 10:09am

I must say I did not expect such a response to my query. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and I can tell you it costs £460 a month to have sky in the pub, (and that includes the close season when there is no footy on!)and they are putting it up 10 times the rate of inflation. Each pub or club is individually assesed and it goes on the seating capacity, so if you have a large place with 2 customers you pay for all the "potential" phantom customers which is a load of dogs b$£%$s. Any how thanks again for your replies.

IP Logged
force1
(Offline)

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2003, 10:38am

I agree the charges to pubs by sly is outrageous, I know of 1 local who only has 1 TV and his charge has just been put up to £499 a month.

IP Logged
dishdoc
(Offline)

Knowledge is the
bomb - pity I've got
none!!!!!

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2003, 8:42pm

hi all

i sub-contract s*y's commercial installations in my area(4 counties) and i know the subscription fee of each pub is calculated by the rateable value of the premises, not on the seating capacity, and yes I think its wrong, but the pub needs to have it in or their customers will just go elsewhere when the footy's on.Its a vicious?circle.  

Cheers Dishdoc Grin Grin

Humax IRC 5400z / allcam patch * Toh3.2 *HoT Emu* 1.1m TRIAX TD *Cryptik H - H mount* Magic Module* Conax cam* VR3 card*Fun Card 4*VX Multi progger* Infinity Pheonix USB Progger*
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print