Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 3:17pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't count on the Beeb! (Read 5700 times)
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Don't count on the Beeb!
May 27th, 2003, 9:43pm

I have news on the BBC going free to air... but it don't look good news even for UK viewers  Sad

Got this from Wot Sat!

There have been rumours that the BBC's grand FTA plan might be nothing more than a tactic to reduce the conditional access fees the corporation pays to Sky. BBC governors are reportedly getting cold feet about the continuing row with Sky over the EPG, and concerned noises being made by rights holders’ like Disney about the real possibility of widespread BBC reception in mainland Europe  
The odds are that Greg Dyke will push ahead with his FTA plan, but if he doesn't, don't say we didn’t warn you.  

CD

IP Logged
bigbill
Ex Member

Re: Don't count on the Beeb!
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2003, 4:36pm

I read similar report in the Guardian newspaper.
Don't believe it untill you see it.
I notice the date for switch over is now gone from 1st June to July 14th. Ongoing talks about what?.

Regards

bigbill Grin

IP Logged
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2003, 5:00pm

On going talks about...? Well it could be to do with regional BBC 1! The BBC want soft wear from S** that will let viewers chose there own regions for 101 and 102, (at the moment only Wales, Scotland, and Ireland have there own regions on 101 and 102), but the BBC want to make all 22 available), but S** have said that the BBC will have to wait another 3 years before this is done!

The other regions will be available, but this would mean on 101 for the whole of the UK and Ireland, would be BBC 1 London and on 102 BBC 2 England! The other 21 regions would be next to the adult channels!

On where S** wants to move the BBC on the EPG, the ITC have told S** that they should (not) move BBC 1 and 2 from the top 2 portions of S** Guide! I think they said something like: the 5 main channels should always be on channels 1 to 5, or so viewers can find the BBC channels easily.

If you are wondering on how the BBC put the regions they want on 101  and 102 in the past, this was (is) how: Before you can see the BBC channels you need a free to view viewing card from the BBC. This is then post coded to were you live (done on your viewing card), which means your card knows which BBC channels to put on 101 and 102, but because the BBC is going FTA there is no way of post coding each viewers viewing card for the BBC, becouse the card is only needed to the channels that are not FTA, or for channels such as ITV 1 (that you can only get with S**.

CD

IP Logged
bigbill
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2003, 6:39pm

Thanks for explaination, I hope that's all that is the problem.  Let's hope they sort it out soon.

Regards

bigbill Smiley

IP Logged
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Re: BBC update
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2003, 1:15pm

Update:

All BBC channels except (BBC Parliament and the interactive services) have left 11720H and 11798H and are now (only) broadcasting from 10773H and 10803H.

CD

IP Logged
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2003, 2:39am

Final update:

The row between the BBC and S** over an £85m distribution deal appears to have been resolved.

Viewers will continue to be able to receive the same versions of BBC One and BBC Two on the 101 and 102 positions.

From this Autumn, all 22 national and regional variations of BBC One and BBC Two will be available and listed on the EPG.

Viewers will 'not' be able to chose which BBC regions they want on channels 101 and 102. This will be done automatically (by their S** viewing card), so that they receive the correct national and regional versions of BBC One and BBC Two at channels 101 and 102 respectively.

For non S** viewers within the Astra 2D footpoint, they will be able to receive as from midnight of 10 July, all BBC channels in the clear.

CD

IP Logged
belmando
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2003, 6:58am

hi m8s

Thats a good news for us foreigner !I always like to hear proper English on BBB !I fed up with American english that starts with F and ends with K(you hear it around 100 times during a movie)

Btw :My dish pulls in those channels (1.0 meter with 0,4 sharp lnb in stockholm)

regards

HDTV based on CS is future
  IP Logged
fauji
(Offline)

dreambox 7000s -
 diseq1.2 - usb -
hydra1.09

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2003, 2:12pm

thanks.crossdy
good news Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
regards

IP Logged
gorth
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Sweden, home of AIK!

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2003, 11:56am

Hi m8's,

Just adding to belmando's post. The footprint of the transponder for BBC channels says that east of the westcoast of Norway you would require a 120+cm dish, but of some reason it is possible to get sufficient signal at Swedish eastcoast (from Norrköping - Stockholm) with a 100 cm dish. Wink As belmando is a living proof of. Smiley

gorth 8) 8) 8)

I am not as good as I once was, but am good once as I ever was.
  IP Logged
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2003, 4:53pm

Another update:

The BBC have now put the following BBC 1 regions up on satellite, and each will broadcast the full BBC 1 service including regional programs:

BBC One West Midlands
BBC One North West
BBC One East Yorkishire & Lincolnshire
BBC One Yorkshire & North Midlands
BBC One East
BBC One North East & Cumbria
BBC One West
BBC One South East
BBC One South
BBC One South West
BBC One East Midlands
BBC One Oxford.

These will join the BBC 1 regions that are already there:

BBC One London
BBC One Northern Ireland
BBC One Wales
BBC One Scotland

The BBC 2 regions will be as normal:

BBC Two England
BBC Two Northern Ireland
BBC Two Wales
BBC Two Scotland

For now BBC regional news at 6.30pm weekdays is still available on TP 12441 V.

CD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print