Homepage FM - coming soon! WMA Realplayer Winamp Now playing...
Welcome to steves-homepage! Mar 28th, 2024, 1:30pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.

Home Search Online Games Login
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BBC goes FTA! (digital spy) (Read 11074 times)
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

BBC goes FTA! (digital spy)
Mar 12th, 2003, 6:33pm

The BBC has announced that from 30 May it will, for the first time, broadcast its eight TV channels unencrypted on digital satellite.

By moving the channels to Astra 2D it will ensure that the channels are available on a footprint centered on the UK. It will also list all its channels including 15 regional variations together on the EPG. In addition the BBC will need Sky to make a change to their EPG system to allow people to receive the correct version of BBC1 and BBC2 on 101 and 102. Though if this is not achieved it will not stop the transition on the 31st May when the current contract with Sky expires.

This decision means that digital satellite viewers in the UK will, in the future, be able to receive the BBC channels without a Sky viewing card, through any make of digital satellite receiver. Current and future Sky subscribers will still be able to receive all the BBC's services.

It also means that the BBC will save an estimated £85 million over the next five years because it will no longer be using BSkyB's Conditional Access system.

Of the savings, £40 million will be used to improve access to all the BBC's regional services on digital satellite (DSAT). The BBC national services in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, plus, for the first time, all 15 regional variations of BBC ONE in England will all be available on DSAT and listed together on Sky's Electronic Programme Guide (EPG).  

BBC Director-General Greg Dyke said: "This is an important decision for the BBC which will save us a considerable amount of money. It will also bring new benefits to viewers right across the country, will broaden the appeal of digital satellite and enable as many people as possible to get the BBC's digital channels."

"For the first time ever, all the BBC's regional and national services will be available to viewers right across the UK. This means that a Scot living in London can get BBC ONE Scotland, or a native of Yorkshire, living in Cornwall could watch regional programmes from their home region."

Today's decision has been triggered by two events. Firstly, the BBC's five year contract with BSkyB for conditional access ends in May, so alternative options can be considered.

Secondly, by moving all the BBC's services to the Astra 2D satellite, whose signals are tightly focused, the BBC can limit broadcasting principally to the UK. This removes the need to encrypt for rights purposes.

However, to ensure that satellite viewers continue to receive the right regional version when they watch BBC ONE or BBC TWO, the BBC will need a one-off change from Sky, for which it has offered to pay a fair price, including a profit margin.  

This involves a simple adaptation to the EPG software which allows the viewer to select the regional service they want so they always get 'their' BBC ONE or BBC TWO.

However, if this is not achieved, the BBC will still go ahead with broadcasting its services unencrypted on DSAT.

Clive Jones, Joint Managing Director, ITV said in relation to this news: "We note the BBC's announcement today that it intends to broadcast its channels unencrypted on satellite and thus avoid acquiring conditional access facilities from BSkyB. We understand entirely why the BBC has felt it necessary to take this course of action and wish them every success. "

The public service broadcasters have long argued that the price Sky charges for conditional access is too high. ITV currently needs Sky's conditional access facilities in order to deliver the best regional service to viewers. However, the £17 million per annum ITV pays for this service bears no relation to the actual cost of the service - which we estimate to be no more than a few hundred thousand pounds and is in stark contrast to the other two digital platforms who provide viewers with the right regional variant of our channels at no extra cost.

This is the fault of a regulatory regime that allows a dominant market player to extract monopoly prices from customers without fear of recourse from the regulator. We hope the BBC's announcement will focus the minds of peers on this issue as the Communications Bill enters the House of Lords. We are calling for an amendment to the Bill that will require OFCOM to take account of the particular nature of public service broadcasters and their obligations to viewers when deciding whether Sky's charges are appropriate. We are happy to pay a fair rate to Sky, but if we have to divert millions of pounds from on-screen investment to underwrite Sky's Pay-TV business it is viewers who will ultimately lose out.

ITV's current contract with Sky for conditional access services runs until Autumn 2004. In the meantime we will review all options and follow developments with interest.

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
belmando
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Re: BBC goes FTA! (digital spy)
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2003, 6:49pm

thanks for info mate .For me its time to calculate how i can watcg those in sweden.I like BBC a lot since i have possibility to hear real English .

regards

HDTV based on CS is future
  IP Logged
belmando
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2003, 6:53pm

after a close calculation  i realised that only thing i will get is a BLACK SCREEN.We are far from 2d s foot print.
Over 2-2,8 will be needed  for that.Adios senior!

regards

IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2003, 6:54pm

billy will be very happy with this news.

IP Logged
acid
(Offline)
God

Feyenoord Rotterdam

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2003, 8:24pm

Great news Steve , i hope with a bit of luck and the right dish that i can pick up some signal of the BBC channels here in holland without the skybox , than i can finaly watch some good public tv channels , i've already got BBC Prime so i'm ready for it .

with a pint in me hand
i travel all over this land .
LARGER
  IP Logged
blue604
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2003, 10:01pm

SmileyGood info Steve,
                           I wonder if they really mean ANY make of receiver? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
belmando
(Offline)
Forum Moderator

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2003, 10:04pm

hi blue m8

could it be a pace?

regards

IP Logged
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2003, 2:22am

This is great news.. maybe we will see ITV 1, Channel Four and Five FTA in the near futureSmiley

IP Logged
invalid
(Offline)

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2003, 7:18am

ITV`s contract run until autumn 2004 with $ky,so you will not see this fta 4 a while yet.

IP Logged
Nick
(Offline)
God
Media Exchange Member

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2003, 8:06am

Hi All,

So I guess this means that the BBC free tv cards will be of no use in a couple of months time ?

L8ers
Nick

IP Logged
crossdynamite
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2003, 8:42am

The 'BBC' free TV cards are not just for the BBC.. they also get you ITV 1, Channel 4 and Five.. ie when card is in cam... you get all the five main channels?

IP Logged
BeatO
(Offline)
God

Take It Easy !

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2003, 9:21am

@belmando 1,

that's bad for you, you're too much in the north. Down here (CH) it should be OK to get it with resonable equipment, 0.9-1.2 should be good enough. It looks like I'll be getting another dish/lnb/diseqc soon... currently I'm pointing only at 13 and 19 with fixed dish as I've got two independant devices connected, so motorised is not realy an option. Smiley

BeatO

Humax VACI-5300 & Alphacrypt 3.x & MR with MRev1.3ish
P4-223 Hauppauge Nexus-S with ProgDVB for recording and MediaMVP for watching
DM600pvr-S, TechnoTrend S2-3650CI for HD on PC
Connected to a WaveFrontier T90 13/19/28
WWW   IP Logged
blue604
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2003, 10:46pm

Roll EyesThis decision means that digital satellite viewers in the UK will, in the future, be able to receive the BBC channels without a Sky viewing card, through any make of digital satellite receiver. [  Current and future Sky subscribers will still be able to receive all the BBC's services. ]

I am baffled why the last part of this paragraph is in this story....it makes you think reading it, that it only concerns the systems with that encrytion in it......it sort of contradicts the first part.

It must have been written by Ruperts buddy.. Grin

IP Logged
BUNTER
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2003, 12:50pm

heres the link that proves steves thread-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/2843069.stm Grin Wink

but they are speaking about moving the downlink to another satellite as sky won`t allow them to use astra 2 which will only mean more people with sat motors lips sealed

bri Wink

IP Logged
Steve
(Offline)
Administrator

Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2003, 1:44pm

They will use either Astra 2D or Eurobird transponders - Astra 2D has a tight beam available and Eurobird has a steerable beam for use over the UK.

Steve.

'Action is eloquence.' - William Shakespeare
WWW Steve Steve ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print